Coconut chutney is a popular side dish that goes perfectly with most of the south Indian breakfast items like idli, dosa, paddu, rottis , vada and a lot more. It is prepared using fresh coconut, bengal gram/chana dal, ginger, and chillis .
In the recipe below, I have added fresh coriander leaves and tamarind. You can also add mint leaves, raw mango, peanuts, onion, garlic etc (not all together). The ingredients that you add will change the flavour and taste of chutney.
Always use the fresh white part of the coconut for chutney, not the brown one. My mom prepares the chutney without the roasted channa dal., so that can be skipped if you don’t prefer the taste.
Ingredients: for grinding
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 2 tbsp roasted ginger
- 1 -2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 or 2 green chilli ( based on spice level
- 1/4 tsp tamarind
- 1/4 cup or less water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 2-3 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 broken dried red chilli
- 1/2 tsp oil
- pinch of hing (optional)
- Take coconut in a small mixer jar, add chillis, tamarind, salt, chana dal, and coriander leaves
- Add 3-4 tbsp water.
- Grind until smooth. If the chutney is too thick or unable to grind, add 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- In a pan, heat oil in low flame, add mustard leaves, urad dal, red chillis.
- Let the mustard splutter, and urad dal turn golden. Add hing and curry leaves.
- Now add the above prepared tempering to the chutney
- Mix serve with hot idlis, dosas etc.
- If frozen grated coconut is being used, soak it in warm water for a while, bring it to room temperature and then grind. I prefer to put the grated coconut in microwave for 20 seconds.
- Chutney must be consumed fresh. If tamarind is added, shell life of chutney increases a little.
- Avoid keeping chutney outside for a long hours.
- Ginger can be skipped.
- Instead of tamarind, 2-3 tsp of curd or yogurt can be added. Mix the curd to the chutney before tempering.
Get new recipe notification to your Mailbox
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?