Gobi Manchurian is a popular starter, that is crispy, tangy, sweet and spicy. It is prepared by using batter-coated, deep-fried cauliflower florets tossed in flavored sauce. There are different versions of Manchurian recipe – dry, semi-dry, and gravy. The gravy version is usually soft and soggy. I personally prefer the dry form of Gobi Manchurian, as it is crispy and goes perfect with fried rice or noodles.
The recipe below will help to prepare the crispy dry gobi Manchurian, fresh and clean at home. The list of ingredients might be daunting, but it is relatively easy to prepare and can be done within 40 mins.
By adding extra water and sauces, you can change this recipe to a semi-dry or gravy version.
Tip: Adding corn flour to air-dried florets will give you crispy Manchurian.
Ingredients: Preparing the florets
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- salt per taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp red paprika
- Oil for frying
Manchurian sauce :
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped spring onions
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp red chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup (optional)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed pepper
- 4 tbsp water
- Wash and clean the cauliflower. Cut it into pieces and soak it in boiling water for 5-10 mins. [15-20 pieces of cauliflower may have to soaked in 3 -4 cups of boiling water]. Drain the water, wipe and leave them to air dry.
- Prepare the batter while the cauliflower is being dried. In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, paprika, salt. Whisk until lump-free and smooth.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan.
- Dip each floret in the batter and drop them gently using spoon or fingers in the oil. Deep fry them in medium flame until its golden brown. (Stir slowly while frying). You can also shallow fry or bake it for healthier options.
- Drain the excess oil by placing the fried florets on a paper towel
Manchurian Sauce :
- In a pan, heat the oil. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add green chillis and bell pepper and saute in high flame for 2 mins.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, red chilli sauce, pepper . Mix gently and add water.
- Add salt, sugar and continue cooking in medium heat until sauce thickens. Tomato ketchup can be added now.
- Turn off the flame, allow the sauce to cool for a minute.
- Mix the florets with sauce gently, and add chopped spring onions.
- Transfer the Manchurian to a plate, and serve hot.
I use low spicy red chilli sauce. Sky valley red chilli sauce – https://skyvalleyfoods.com/shop/sky-valley-sweet-chili-sauce. Based on the taste, you can increase or decrease the spicy sauce amount based on the sauce that is being used.
Mix 1/4 tsp of chilli powder with 3 tbsp of water, and add it to the sauce for extra colour. This will spice up the manchurian sauce.
Semi dry version: Double the amount of soy sauce, vinegar, red chilli sauce, ketchup. Mix 1/2 tbsp of corn flour with 1/2 cup of water, and stir into the sauces. Adjust the sweet, sour and spice according to the taste.
Gravy version : triple the amount of soy sauce, vinegar, red chilli sauce, tomato ketchup. Mix 1 tbsp of corn flour with 1 cup of water, stir into the hot sauces. Adjust the sweet, spice and sour per the taste
Did you make this recipe?
Keep in touch?