Gobi Paratha – Stuffed Indian bread with finely grated spiced cauliflower. It is one of the popular parathas from North India. This is one of our family favorite, and I make it often. Typically served for breakfast, accompanied with yogurt,pickle and hot tea. I make them for dinner too. It is quite healthy, rich, and nutritious.
There are 2 ways to make parathas – by mixing in the filling while preparing the dough, like Beetroot Paratha. And next by stuffing the spiced mix to the dough and then rolling it out. Latter is most popular – like Aloo Paratha (spiced potato filled flatbread), Gobi Paratha(Cauliflower FlatBread), Paneer Paratha(Cottage Cheese Flatbread), Mixed Veg Paratha, and the list goes on!
How to make Gobi Paratha?
Parathas are all about its filling and spices. I make Gobi paratha using finely grated Cauliflower. You can cook Cauliflower before adding it to the stuffing. But there is a lot of difference in the taste of these parathas. I use raw cauliflower while preparing the stuffing. In my opinion, drier the stuffing, tastier the paratha. And, It’s okay if you can’t make a round paratha. When I first started, all my parathas were shaped like different countries. I have come a long way when I see the parathas I make now. Still not perfect, but it comes with practice.
MAKE THE DOUGH
In a bowl, mix flour, oil, salt .
Add water little by little and knead to a soft dough.
Cover and rest for 10 mins.
MAKE THE STUFFING
In a separate bowl, grate cauliflower, squeeze out the water. Mix in cilantro, cumin or ajwain, green chili, and coriander powder.
Heat the pan and keep it ready before rolling out the paratha. Since cauliflower tends to release water, unlike other parathas, these have to be cooked immediately.
STUFF and ROLL THE DOUGH
Divide the dough into equal parts. Shape them like round ball. Dust some flour on it, and then roll them into small circles.
I usually keep the mix of salt, garam masala, dry mango, and red chilli powder together. (SKIP red chilli, green chilli, and garam masala if you are making this for a toddler.)
Grease oil(ghee) (optional) and then place the filling and sprinkle salt,garam masala and red chilli powder over the filling. Take all the sides together and press it to seal the filling.
Dust some flour and them roll it again to 6-7 inch diameter circle. While rolling, make sure to dust rolling board with flour and then apply even pressure all over while rolling. That way, parathas won’t stick and will be round.
COOK THE PARATHAS
Place the rolled paratha on heated tawa.
Apply oil /ghee on both sides and cook well. You will see brown spots when each is cooked.
Extra butter/ghee is only for pictures 🙂
I hope you like the recipe. It is –
- & delicious
Gobi Paratha |Cauliflower Flatbread
|Prep Time :||15 minutes|
|Cook Time :||15 minutes|
|Total Time :||30 minutes|
Ingredients: 1 cup =240 ml
- 2 cups whole wheat flour + more for dusting
- 1 cup water or as required to knead
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil /ghee
- 1 + 1/2 cup grated cauliflower
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp ajwain (optional)
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- a handful of chopped cilantro
- garam masala to sprinkle
- dry mango to sprinkle
- salt to sprinkle
- red chilli powder to sprinkle
- Make the dough. In a bowl, mix flour, salt and oil. Add water little by little and knead to a soft dough.
- Wash and rinse cauliflower florets thoroughly. Dry it before grating finely. In a bowl, add grated cauliflower (squeeze out the extra water). Mix in cilantro, cumin or ajwain, green chilli and coriander powder.
- Next, Divide the dough equally into medium sized balls. Roll them into small circle. Place approximately tbsp of mixture and then Sprinkle pinche of salt, red chili powder and garam masala powder all over on the grated gobi.
- press all the sides of the circle together to seal it.
- Dust some flour, and roll each of dough filled with stuffing into circles again (6-7 inch diameter)
- On a heated pan, place the rolled parathas, grease the sides, and cook both sides equally. Press with a spatula and cook the paratha until both sides have golden brown spots on them.
- Repeat the same with remaining dough balls.
- Serve it with yogurt or pickle .
Keep in touch?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?