Vermicelli Upma, also known as ‘Shavige uppittu’ in Kannada. This is an easy breakfast recipe that can be prepared within 30 minutes. Also a delicious and quick snack.
Traditionally, upma is made of rava, but vermicelli is a good substitute, and it tastes delicious.
You will find wheat or all purpose flour based vermicelli in the market. Choose any. I prefer rice based over wheat vermicelli. Rice vermicelli is light, and healthier, and It is gluten- free!
It can be served hot with coconut chutney.
How do we make rice vermicelli upma?
In pot of boiling water, vermicelli is soaked along with salt for a few minutes and water is drained completely.
In a deep bottom pan, splutter the seasonings, add chopped veggies, green chillies, jaggery, salt to taste, and saute well.
Cooked vermicelli along with coconut is added to the mixture prepared above, and must be gently mixed.
Lastly, garnish the dish with roasted cashews, coriander leaves. Sprinkle lemon to taste
Rice Vermicelli Upma
Ingredients: 1 cup =240ml
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of hing
- 1/2 inch grated ginger
- 1-2 green chillies
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 8-10 roasted cashews (chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped beans and carrot
- handful of coriander leaves
- 4-5 curry leaves(optional)
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
Vermicelli: 1 cup = 240 ml
- 2 cups vermicelli
- 5 cups water
- salt to taste
- In a pot, bring water to boil. Add salt and vermicelli. Turn off the flame, close the lid and cover for 5-6 minutes
- Drain the water from the pot, and keep vermicelli aside
- In a pan, heat coconut oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves(optional). Let the seed splutter.
- Add cumin, ginger, chillies, chopped veggies and saute for a two to three minutes.
- Mix jaggery, and salt.
- Add cooked vermicelli and coconut. Gently fold.
- Turn off the flame. Add roasted cashews, coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and serve hot .
- Veggies are optional. Onions can be added instead.
- Instead of cashews, peanuts can be added.
- Vegetarians can substitute coconut oil with ghee, for enhanced flavour
- Add onions if needed.
Keep in touch ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?