Roasted Poha Chivda is a quick and delicious dry snack made with flattened rice, nuts, and spices. One of my favorite snack option and it goes perfect with a cup of hot chai.
The texture of Chivda is crispy and it is mildly spiced. Flattened rice is nothing but rice flattened into flat, light, dry flakes. It is also called as ‘Beaten Rice’. Thick and thin variety of Poha available in the Market. Both are used differently to make dishes. Thick variety is used to make Poha Upma and thin variety is used in whipping up a quick, tempered rice flakes dish.
To make this snack, we use a thin variety of Poha, and it is very simple to make, and most of the ingredients are dry roasted and oil is only used for tempering. Substitute ghee with coconut oil for Vegan option.
SAVE PIN –
How to make Roasted Poha Chivda ?
Dry roast poha and nuts in the oven or stovetop.
OVEN: Preheat to 350F, and dry roast poha, cashews, and peanuts for 15 mins. Stir every 6-7 mins.
STOVE TOP: Heat nonstick pan, dry roast poha for 6-7 mins. Next roast peanuts and cashews until they are golden brown.
Next, heat oil in the pan, roast raisins until they puff up. Keep them aside.
Prepare the tempering, add spices and mix them along with roasted poha and cashews
I hope you like the recipe. It is –
- perfect snack
- & tasty
- Oven (optional)
- 2 cups thin poha
- 2-3 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1/4 cup raisin
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of hing
- 1 tsp red chilli powder // add more to spice up the dish
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1-2 tbsp dry coconut // optional
- salt to taste
- OVEN: Preheat to 350F, and dry roast poha, cashews, and peanuts for 15 mins. Stir every 6-7 mins.
- STOVE TOP: Heat nonstick pan, dry roast poha for 6-7 mins. Next roast peanuts and cashews until they are golden brown. Transfer it to a large bowl.
- Next, heat tsp of oil or ghee in the pan, roast raisins until they puff up. Keep them aside.
- To the same pan, add more oil, reduce the heat to low. add curry leaves, hing, and turmeric red chilli powder and mix well.
- Transfer the tempering to the bowl, add salt and sugar. Mix until combined
- Adjust the spices based on your preference.
- Skip the chilli powder if you are giving this to a toddler
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you. Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #eateriesdelightful
One my favourite snacks too. Light and delicious now I’m really craving for it.
It is incredibly delicious. Try it out, and let me know how you like it
Looking very tasty