Green Gram or Whole Mung Bean is widely used in Indian cooking. From salads to desserts, it is used making variety of dishes. My personal preference – green gram in Akki Rotti(Rice Flatbread), Salads, and Curry.
This healthy Green gram curry is mildly spiced and flavourful. It is also considered as one of the best lentils for nourishment. I made salad using sprouts this week, and had some unused left, used them up by making this curry. Just soaked green gram can be used too. Spouted ones adds extra flavour to the curry. This is an one-pot recipe, you can use pressure cooker or instant pot for making it.
What I like about these one-pot recipes are they are just so easy to make, all you need is 5- 10 mins for the prep, put all in the pot, and then done. Save time, make easy meals. Simple and tasty!
How to make green gram curry?
Soaking lentils help neutralize anti-nutrients present in lentils.So it is always preferred to use them after soaking.
Soak green gram overnight(or 2-3hrs) in water. Next drain, wash and drain it. Wrap it in a muslin cloth, sprinkle few drops of water and let it sprout in room temperature (takes about 8-10 hrs).
This whole thing takes 24 hrs. I make this over the weekend, and use it through the week. OR you could just use store-bought sprouts.
In the pot or cooker, saute onions, tomatoes and spices( I have skipped onions)
Next, add green gram, water and salt. Adjust the spices based on your preference. If you want to spice up the curry, add 1/2 tsp garam masala extra or add an extra green chilli.
Pressure cook for 10 mins and then let the pressure release naturally.
If you want the texture creamier, take ladle full of curry and blend it. Mix it in with curry. Next add lime juice, and garnish with cilantro.
Serve the curry with rice or roti. I personally like it with rice.
I hope you like the recipe. It is –
- Mildly spiced
- one-pot curry
- & delicious
Sprouted Green Gram Curry
|Prep Time :||5 minutes|
|Cook Time :||15 minutes|
|Total Time :||25 minutes|
Ingredients : 1 cup =240 ml
- 11/4 cup green gram (sprouted or soaked)
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 Green Chili Pepper (deseed for reducing spice level)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dry mango
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 cup Water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Turn on the instant pot in SAUTE mode, let it turn hot. Add ghee or oil, and cumin seeds.
- Next, add onions, ginger-garlic paste, chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Mix in tomatoes and green gram.
- Add water and salt. Cancel the saute the mode.
- Cover and turn on pressure cook mode, and cook for 10 minutes. If you have not soaked the green gram, cook for 20-25 minutes.
- let the instant pot release pressure naturally. Add lime juice, garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Get new recipe notification to your Mailbox
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?