I often cook pasta at home for my little one, and this is one such recipe that a regular at home. This creamy pasta is totally vegan and doesn’t involve cheese. Well, you can always add Parmesan to the recipe.
We introduced pasta to my little one when he was around 14 months, but not cow’s milk or cheese yet. So, I have skipped cheese and milk in the recipe. Instead, I used homemade almond milk or coconut milk. It adds the rich creamy taste to the pasta – a good satisfying dinner and energising too.
This is one food you can never go wrong with especially when you try to please them with last meal of the day. And guess what, you can add a ton of customisation with your of vegetables. Also, you can add in cottage cheese or parmesan if you are little tot consumes dairy.
Ingredients in Creamy Pasta with peas and corn
To make this easy family meal, you’ll need:
- Garlic powder
- Dried Basil or Oregano
- whole wheat flour
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
How to make creamy Pasta with peas and corn ?
First, cook the pasta according to the instruction given in the packet. I normally use whole wheat pasta or brown rice pasta, both take different time to cook. You can use semolina pasta too . Whole wheat takes longer time to cook, and it requires extra sauce. Reserve 1/4 cup of cooked pasta water.
To make the sauce, you will need milk (almond or coconut), you can use store brought or make them fresh at home (refer notes * for homemade), a bit of whole wheat flour and grounded chia seed mix (optional). Mix milk, pasta water along with flour until it is lump free.
Veggies for the pasta can be anything of your choice. Replace peas with broccoli or beans or carrots, pasta would still taste great.
Once you have pasta and veggies cooked, heat the sauce and toss in veggies and pasta, along with hint of garlic and basil.
Hope you like Creamy Pasta recipe. It is –
- No frills
- & delicious
Creamy Pasta with Peas and Corn
|Prep Time :||10 minutes|
|Cook Time :||15 minutes|
|Total Time :||25 minutes|
Ingredients : 1 Cup =240 ml
- 1 cup dry pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh peas and corn
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chia seed powder(optional)
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup Almond milk or Coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp dried basil.
- salt to taste
- water to cook pasta
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Prepare pasta as per the instruction in the packet. Reserve 1/4 cup of cooked pasta water before draining them all out. Add salt while cooking pasta.
- Mix milk, pasta water with whole wheat flour, whisk well. It must be lump-free. You can add chia seed powder. It helps thickening the sauce.
- In a pan, bring the sauce to boil, add in corn and peas. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Allow the sauce to thicken a bit
- Add pasta, and adjust salt. Lastly, add garlic powder and basil. Combine well.
- Transfer to a bowl, and serve warm.
Notes: I prefer using homemade almond or coconut milk over store bought when cooking for my little one. It is really easy to make and doesn’t take a lot of time
- Prepare almond milk – Soak 10-15 almonds in hot water for 15 mins. Remove the skin of almonds. Add 1/2 cup of water along with almonds in a blender, and grind until smooth. If the paste is too thick, dilute by adding water. You can try this with cashews instead of almonds. I haven’t tried though
- Prepare coconut milk – Take 1/2 cup of shredded coconut and 1/4 cup of water. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture onto a muslin cloth, and drain the milk out. You can add more water to get the desired consistency of milk.
- You can substitute basil with oregano.
Keep in touch?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?