Akki roti is a breakfast item that is unique to Karnataka. This savorious dish is eaten along with butter or chutney or any other gravy of your choice. Traditionally, rotti is spread on a banana leaf, and then placed on pan by flipping it. My mom prepares it on banana leaf as it is readily available to her.
I learnt other ways of making Akki rotti from my mother-in-law. (I have two amazing home chefs to follow and get tips from 😇) . She also uses Pigeon peas while making Akki rotti. Since I do not get fresh pigeon peas here, I substituted them with Mung Bean. So let’s make some Akki Rottis.
How to make Akki rotti?
Rice flour and yogurt is the base of the Rotit batter. Coconut is added for moisture. If you skip coconut, rotti may turn out hard and can be chewy.
You can use Dill leaves to akki rotti. It adds a very good flavour(I have not added in recipe pics). Mung bean is optional, I like to add them for some dose of fiber and protein and also makes rotti texturous.
Cook the soaked mung beans first. While mung bean is getting cooked, take a bowl, add flour and curd. Combine and set it as aside for few mins.
Next, mix all the spices, coconut, mung bean with rice based batter and combine well.
SPREAD THE BATTER
2 ways to spread the batter.
1) spread the on the pan directly.
2) spread on a foil or moist cotton cloth or baking paper. Then, place it on the greased hot pan, with the dough facing the pan side, slowly remove the cloth/foil while the rotti is being cooked.
I am using the second option here – Spread on the foil
Flip and place it on the pan. Cook both sides until golden.
Serve hot with Chutney. I like to eat it just with butter.
Other breakfast items for you all to try –
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup cooked mung bean or pigeon peas
- handful of chopped dill leaves optional
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 chopped green chillies
- handful of coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Butter/oil/ ghee for smearing
- 2-3 tbsp crushed peanuts or chana dal
- Soak mung bean overnight in water. Drain, wash and rinse. Cook it in pressure cooker until one whistle.
- In a large bowl, add rice flour and curd, mix well. Set aside for about 10 mins
- Now add water, coconut, cumin, ginger,coriander leaves, salt, cooked mung and mix well. It will be moist and sticky.
- Grease the pan, spread the dough on the pan slowly to form a thin layer. or If you have used paper/foil, then flip and place it on the pan with batter facing the pan.
- Heat the pan, close the lid and cook for about 2 mins. Continue cooking until the bottom of the rotti has turned golden brown, smear oil/butter to avoid dryness and flip it.
- Cook the other side for couple of mins. When the brown spots appear, take it off the pan, serve hot with butter and chutney
- Wait until the pan is cooled completely before spreading the next one. Or use a different tawa. I use 2 pans to save time
- Swap mung bean with pigeon peas
- Handful of dill leaves enhances the taste
Did you make this recipe?
Get new recipe notification to your Mailbox
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?