Pundi or Pundi gatti is a popular cuisine of Manglore-udupi region in India. Traditionally, it is prepared using rice by soaking, grinding, cooking, and lastly steaming the dumplings. It tastes divine when served warm along with coconut chutney, or spiced coconut gravy.
With our never ending hectic schedule, we would love to get some some breakfast that is quick to prepare, tastes delicious and healthy.
This recipe is no compromise in taste for the traditional Pundi, and can be prepared within 30 minutes. Want to try out the traditional version? Check this
What do you need for preparing Instant Pundi?
12 ingredients, steamer or instant pot, 1 pan.
How to prepare instant Pundi?
Preparing the seasoning, and bring water to boil. Slowly add rice flour and coconut while stirring. Cook until a thick dough is formed.
When the dough is still warm, grease your palms and roll the dough into lemon sized ball or any shape you like, and steam!
You can spice it up by adding extra red chillies.
Serve hot with chutney or spiced coconut gravy.
Hope you like instant Pundi recipe. It is –
- & incredibly delicious
Instant Pundi Recipe
| Author : Shruthi |
Prep Time : 5 minutes
Cook Time : 30 minutes
Total Time : 35 minutes
Cuisine : Indian
Category: Breakfast, Gluten free, Vegan
Ingredients: 1 cup = 240 ml
- 2 cup Rice flour
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1½ tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 chopped dried red chilli (green chilli can be used too)
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 5-6 curry leaves
- handful of cilantro
- 1 tsp roasted chana dal (optional, I have not used this in the recipe)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- In a pan, heat oil add mustard seeds, urad dal. Let it splutter. Add red chilli, cumin, ginger, curry leaves. Saute for a minute. I have skipped curry leaves in the recipe (It is not easily available around here)
- Add water, and bring it to boil.
- Slowly add coconut and rice flour while stirring. Continue cooking until all the water is absorbed, dough must be soft
- Turn off the flame, and allow it to cool down a bit.
- While the dough is still warm, make lemon sized balls and place them in the steamer. If you using idli steamer, steam for about 10-15 minutes.
- If you are using instant pot, turn on the saute mode, and heat the water. When the water turns hot, place the steaming basket with pundi in the Pot. Cancel the saute mode, turn on the steam mode and steam! it will ready in 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with chutney or spiced gravy of your choice.
- Keep rice flour to water ratio same. If the water is less, pundi may turn hard. If the water is more, pundi may turn out sticky.
- The texture will not be as coarse as the traditional Pundi. Sometimes, I take idly rava and rice flour combination (1:1 ratio) to get a coarser texture, still not so close to the traditional Pundi.
- For soft and smooth texture, shape the pundi while the dough is still warm.
Keep in touch?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?