Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice is sweet, savory, and spicy! Can be made within 30 mins on Stovetop & perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
This pineapple fried rice recipe is inspired by a meal I had in the Thai restaurant in Houston. My husband loves this recipe, as it is a perfect blend of sweet and savory, seasoned with raisins, turmeric and cilantro for earthy flavors. It will be ready in 30 minutes.
Usually, when we order pineapple fried rice at a restaurant what we get is just a soy sauce fried rice tossed with veggies and pineapple cubes. But this one had spices – particularly turmeric that gave a golden hue to the rice. I tried to create a vegan version of the recipe at home and it worked. I think you will love this one. My house will be filled with the sweet aroma of this delicious fried rice every time I make it.
This is not a traditional Thai recipe. I have used carrots, beans, broccoli, skipped bell peppers, and tomatoes. Added raisins and cashews instead. Vegans can add tofu, eggetarians can add the scrambled egg to the recipe for that extra protein.
How to make Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice?
Ingredients that you need to make this recipe –
- Cooked Rice
- Coconut oil
- ripe Pineapple
- Carrots, Brocolli, or Cabbage. Any other vegetable of your choice. Peas, bell pepper, and beans work well here.
- Ginger garlic paste
- Spring onion
- fresh Cilantro
To make the Sauce
- Soy sauce
- Red chili powder
Before you get started, have the cooked rice ready. Salt the rice while it is being cooked. Refer notes on the recipe card below to know how to cook rice.
Stir fry fried rice works the best on rice that is chilled as it does not clump together. So, cook the rice in advance and allow it to cool down before mixing it with the spices.
In a large wok, heat 2 tbsp of oil, add chopped pineapple, and veggies. Saute for 3-5 mins. Stir constantly. Edges of the pineapple will be caramelized and veggies must be crunchy.
Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, stir constantly for about a minute in medium flame.
Reduce the flame, add another tbsp of oil. Add cashews and raisins. Cook until fragrant, for about 30 seconds.
Add salt, rice and stir to combine. Cook until rice is heated. Stir occasionally, about 3 minutes.
Combine soy sauce, vinegar, cumin powder & sugar in a bowl. when the rice is heated, add this and mix well. Adjust the spices if required.
Garnish with Cilantro and spring onion(optional). Add in juice of 1/2 lime for some extra tanginess.
Serve hot! Pairing it with this Manchurian makes it a wonderful meal
I hope you like this recipe. It is –
- Full of flavors
- perfect for busy weeknight dinners
- & incredibly delicious
Your valuable feedback is appreciated. If you try this recipe, leave a comment below, rate it, or tag a photo #eateriesdelightful on Instagram 🙂
Pineapple Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice jasmine rice tastes the best with the recipe. Brown rice can be added too
- 2- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 + 1/2 cup chopped carrotsbeans, broccoli, cabbage [small pieces]
- 1 + 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce optional
- 1 tsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika or red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- sale to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar optional
- small lime halved
- or a handful of coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp raisins optional
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted cashews optional
- 1/2 Jalapeno slices
- In a large wok, heat 2tbsp of oil, add chopped pineapple, carrots, beans, broccoli. Saute for 3-5 mins. Stir constantly. Edges of the pineapple will be caramelized and veggies should be soft. Veggies can be cooked separately and added here.
- Add garlic, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, sugar(not needed if the pineapple is well ripe), stir constantly for about a minute in medium flame.
- Reduce the flame, add another tbsp of oil. Add cashews and raisins. Cook until fragrant, for about 30 seconds.
- Add salt, rice, and stir to combine. Cook until rice is heated. Stir occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, cumin powder & sugar in a bowl. when the rice is heated, add this and mix well. Adjust the spices if required
- Adjust the spices if required.
- Garnish using cilantro and spring onion. Add in the juice of 1/2 lime for some extra tanginess and sliced jalapeno for fragrance.
- Combine well.
- would always recommend using fresh pineapple for this pineapple fried rice. Fresh is just the best here!
- Jasmine rice or brown rice or Basmati is preferred choice of Rice for this recipe
- Cook Rice: in Instant pot: Rinse the rice well. Rice to water ratio is 1:1(1/4). Add salt and tablespoon full of oil. Let the rice cook for about 12 mins in the rice mode
- pressure cooker: add a 1: 2 ratio of rice to water.Add salt and tablespoon full of oil while cooking let it whistle 3 to 4 times.
Thank you ☺️