Pundi or Pundi Gatti – is a round shaped steamed rice dumplings typically belonging to Udupi- Mangalorean cuisine in India.
It is one the healthy delicacies usually eaten for breakfast.
Preparation of Pundi involves soaking, grinding, tempering(it is optional), cooking, and finally steaming the dumplings. Yes! it is a long process.
Want to prepare the instant Pundi? Check this. It saves you 5-6 hrs, and jumps right into cooking, and steaming.
What do you need for preparing Pundi?
5 – ingredients, 1 Pan, a steamer, and of course blender/mixer to get the ground batter.
How to prepare Pundi?
First, soak rice (can be combination of Idly and long grain rice or Matta rice) for 4-5 hours. Next, grind soaked rice along with coconut and salt coarsely.
Heat the pan, and cook the mixture until forms a lump(sort of like a rough dough), and starts leaving the pan.
When the dough is slightly warm, make round(or oval or doughnut) shaped balls, and steam them!
Tastes amazing with onion gravy or potato curry.
I hope you like the Pundi recipe. It is –
& tastes best with gravy
If you try the recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #harshrurecipes on Instagram. Cheers!
Pundi |Pundi Gatti
| Author : Shruthi |
Prep Time : 6 hours
Cook Time : 25 minutes
Total Time : 6 hours, 25 minutes
Cuisine : Indian
Category: Breakfast, Gluten free, Vegan
Ingredients: 1 Cup = 240 ml
- 1 cup idly rice
- 1 cup dosa rice or long grain rice or matta rice
- 3/4 cup coconut
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil (optional)
- Soak rice in water for 4-5 hours. Rinse and drain the water.
- In a blender or mixer, grind rice, coconut, and salt along with water, coarsely. Batter consistency is similar to that of idly batter, but coarser.
- Use medium flame, heat the pan, pour the batter, and cook until it forms a soft dough. Dough leaves the pan when it is cooked. You also add oil while cooking, but optional.
- When the dough has cooled down, make round shaped balls or any shape that you like, and place them in the steamer.
- Steam for about 15- 20 mins. if you using instant pot, place water in saute mode, when the water is steaming, cancel, place the basket inside, and turn on steam mode. Let it steam for 20-25 mins.
- Serve hot along with gravy or chutney.
- If the dough is dry, the pundi will turn out dry. Sprinkle water while cooking the dough.
- Coconut adds moisture to pundi, so do not skimp on coconut.
- Adding equal amount of idly rice along with dosa rice, gives you softer pundis. It can also be prepared using Matta rice.
Keep in touch?