This pineapple fried rice recipe is inspired by a meal I had in of the Thai restaurant in Houston. My husband loves this recipe, as it is a perfect blend of sweet and savoury, seasoned with raisins, turmeric and coriander for earthy flavours. It will be ready in 30 minutes.
Usually, when we order pineapple fried rice at a restaurant what we get is just a soy sauce fried rice tossed with veggies and pineapple cubes. But this one, had spices – particularly turmeric that gave a golden hue to the rice. I tried to create a vegan version of the recipe at home and it worked. I think you will love this one.
This is not a traditional Thai recipe. I have used carrots, beans, broccoli, skipped bell peppers and tomatoes. Added raisins and cashews instead. Vegans can add tofu , eggetarians can added scrambled egg to the recipe for that extra protein.
Before you get started – have the cooked rice ready. Stir fry fried rice works the best on rice that is chilled as it does not clump together. So cook the rice in advance and allow it cool down before mixing it with the spices.
Pineapple Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice (jasmine rice tastes the best with the recipe. Brown rice can be added too)
- 2- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1(1/2) cup chopped pineapple (ripe pineapple adds the nice sweet flavour to the rice)
- 1 cup chopped carrots, beans, broccoli [small pieces]
- 2 minced garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onion(optional)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sale, to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar(optional)
- small lime, halved
- 1 tbsp or handful of coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted cashews
- In a large wok, heat 2tbsp of oil, add chopped pineapple, carrots, beans, broccoli. Saute for 3-5 mins.Stir constantly. Edges of the pineapple will be caramelised and veggies should be soft. Veggies can be cooked separately and added here too.
- Add garlic, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, sugar(not needed if pineapple is well ripe),stir constantly for about a minute in medium flame.
- Reduce the flame, add another tbsp of oil. Add cashews and raisins. Cook until fragrant, for about 30 seconds.
- Add salt, rice and stir to combine. Cook until rice is heated. Stir occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- When the content is heated, add soy sauce, chilli sauce, vinegar, to taste, mix well and turn off the flame. Adjust the spices if required.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and spring onion(optional). Add in juice of 1/2 lime for some extra tanginess.
- Combine well.
For cooking the rice in Instant pot or pressure cooker: Rinse the rice well. Add 1: 2 ratio of rice to water while cooking in pressure cooker. Add salt and tablespoon full of oil while cooking let it whistle 3 to 4 times. Add 1:1(1/4) while cooking in instant pot for jasmine rice. Add salt and tablespoon full of oil while cooking. Let the rice cook for about 15 mins in instant pot.
You can serve the pineapple fried rice along with Gobi manchurian for lunch or dinner.
Keep in touch?