Vegan French Toast. That’s right french toast without egg. Can it be good? Of course! Milk(Almond or coconut), cinnamon, nutmeg, flaxseeds, vanilla, jaggery or maple syrup and thick bread. You can make fluffy, tender, golden brown, super delicious french toast just with these. No flour, no refined sugar.
There are so many recipes out there for french toast, this one may be like adding to the list. Nevertheless, this recipe is my favourite, and tastes very close to the actual french toasts that I used to make earlier.
Ever since we stopped cooking eggs at home, I missed omelettes and french toast. I wanted to make something that is close to the traditional french toast that I love, and not ruin it.
When I started making these, I was skeptical of making it right. I wanted crispy, non-soggy bread that was perfectly sweet, fluffy and tender.After several tries, I finally got it right.
How to make the best Vegan French Toast ?
Trick is always use thick slices of bread. Older the better. Do not use sandwich breads for making french toast. I mostly use Ciabatta or rustic bread. This time I used thick sliced crafted bread.
Next, make the batter. Milk I prefer is coconut milk. I feel it adds a nice flavour. Almond milk works just fine. Let the batter sit for a while. Allow it to thicken. ‘Thickening’ is done by flax seeds(You can use chia seeds as well). After mixing all the ingredients with milk, I allow the mixture to sit for 15 minutes. Batter thickness is similar to the one with egg.
And, If you want eggy essence, add a little black salt. It does the trick. I don’t know how 😀
Next, dip individual slices in the batter, and then shallow fry them in a pan with little or no oil if you prefer.
I hope you like vegan french toast. It is –
- Lightly sweet
- & wholesome
Vegan French Toast
|Prep Time :||15 minutes|
|Cook Time :||15 minutes|
|Total Time :||30 minutes|
Ingredients : 1 Cup= 240 ml
- 5 slices of thick bread
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp grounded flax seed
- 1 tbsp jaggery syrup or 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp black salt (optional)
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, except the bread. Allow it to sit for 15 mins.
- Heat the pan, add 1 tsp coconut oil. Dip each slice of bread in the batter on both sides. Just enough to coat the bread.
- place it on the heated pan, and cook until golden brown on both sides. Use low-medium flame to avoid charring of the bread. (takes around 3-4 minutes)
- Top with your choice of toppings . I used raspberry, banana and maple syrup. Can use honey too.
Keep in touch?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?