Ginger and Chocolate? Craving for spice and chocolate is satisfied in every bite of this flavourful chocolate gingerbread. This loaf is very easy to whip together.
This is not a traditional gingerbread, it is a healthier version of whole wheat loaf cake with goodness of gingerbread spices, gooey chocolate chips and jaggery. Instead of molasses, I used jaggery syrup. Chocolate Gingerbread bakes into a dense pound-like cake, and is best when served warm.
How to make Chocolate Gingerbread Cake?
Whip butter and sugar until it is creamy. Add flaxseed, and vanilla extract. Then slowly add all the dry ingredients and combine. Pour boiling hot water into the mixture, and combine well. Top in chocolate chips if needed.
Grease the loaf pan, pour in the batter, and bake for an hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
I hope you like Chocolate Gingerbread. It is
- sweet and spicy
- & incredibly delicious
Chocolate Gingerbread Loaf Cake
|Prep Time :||15 minutes|
|Cook Time :||1 hour|
|Total Time :||1 hour 15 minutes|
Ingredients: 1 Cup = 240 ml
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened to room temperature) or vegan butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup jaggery syrup * refer notes below
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2 tsp grounded cloves
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and more for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F . Grease 9 * 5 loaf pan or line the pan with parchment paper and keep it ready.
- Make flaxseed eggs. Combine 1 tbsp flaxseed with 3 tbsp water and leave it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add flaxseed mix, apple sauce. Combine
- Now add vanilla, jaggery syrup. Stir well.
- Slowly add all the dry ingredients portion by portion until combined
- Stir in hot water and mix until smooth .
- Pour in the batter onto the greased pan, sprinkle chocolate chips if needed. And bake for one hour or until tooth pick comes clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool down completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Notes : How to make Jaggery Syrup ?
- You need 1 cup jaggery, 1 cup water. In a sauce pan, mix both together and on a low flame until jaggery melts completely.
- Next, increase the flame to medium, and boil it until the syrup thickens. May take around 10 minutes. You do not have to reach one string consistency. Aim for thickness like honey, should be enough.
**Recipe adapted from sallysbakingaddiction.com
Keep in touch?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?