Paneer Bhurji is a popular Indian breakfast option. Bhurji means scramble. Basically, a crumbled paneer dish.
Paneer scramble is an easy substitute for those who do not eat Egg Bhurji, and a true vegetarian delight. This dish comes together in minutes, it is my go – to option on weekdays.
Key ingredients for paneer scramble is onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, and loads of cilantro. It is the balance of flavours of these vegetables that works out perfectly with Paneer. Vegans out there can replace paneer with Tofu, and can this dish out perfectly.
Paneer scramble becomes a one of the satisfying meal to start your day. This recipe is flexible enough to adjust according to your taste, either by adding different veggies, or altering the spices to make it your own.
What do you need for making Paneer Bhurji?
1 – pan, 13 ingredients, and 20-25 minutes
How to make Indian Paneer Bhurji?
Heat oil in the skillet, add cumin, onions and cook until onions have turned golden. Those who prefer to skip onion (like me), you can use zucchini to get the similar caramelised flavour as onion or other veggies like mushroom or extra peppers to bulk up the dish.
Next, add ginger – garlic paste (I used powder), tomatoes, peppers and cook until soft. I prefer peppers crunchy, so I add them once tomatoes are cooked, and then saute peppers for few seconds.
Lastly, all the spices are added, and crumbled pepper along with salt is folded in gently. Little water can be added to moisten up the paneer. Over cooking paneer can make the dish dry.
Serve the bhurji with –
- Pita Bread or whole wheat flat bread
- toasted and buttered bread of your choice
- rotis or naan
- or use them as filling for wraps along with fresh veggies
I hope you like Paneer Bhurji . It is
- loaded with proteins
- & incredibly delicious
If you try the recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #harshrurecipes on Instagram. Cheers!
| Author : || Shruthi |
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
| Total Time || 25 minutes |
|Category:||Breakfast, Gluten free|
Ingredients : 1 Cup = 240 ml
- 200 g crumbled paneer
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 small tomatoes or 1 large tomato
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 small onion (have skipped this in my recipe pics, hence optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1-2 green chillies (skip this for toddlers)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste (1/2-3/4 tsp)
- handful of cilantro
- Crumble the paneer, clean, wash and chop vegetables and keep them ready.
- heat oil in the skillet, add cumin, green chillies, ginger-garlic paste saute for a minute.
- Add onions, let them turn translucent. Add tomatoes and cook for a minute or two in high flame.
- Add bell peppers and saute for another 2 minutes.
- when tomatoes are cooked thoroughly, add turmeric, paprika, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Fold in crumbled paneer, and cook for another 2 minutes. Do not cook for long after paneer has been added.
- turn off the flame, add lime juice, garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- Alter the spices according to your taste. You can use ginger-garlic powder instead of paste.
- Pav bhaji masala can be used instead of garam masala
- Vegans can replace paneer with tofu.
Keep in touch?