There are different ways to make paratha using vegetables. Either by adding vegetable puree, or stuffed, or using grated vegetables as it is.
This version is easy and very quick to prepare, as it doesn’t involve prior cooking of beetroot or blending to prepare a puree. Just mix the grated beetroot with some ground spices and whole wheat flour. Voila!! your dough is ready!
One of the easiest way to get the beet into the diet, and the paratha tastes delicious .
This paratha is soft, mildly sweet and spicy. It can be eaten along with ghee as it is or with yogurt raita or a pickle!
Serve this for breakfast or lunch/dinner.
- 1 cup finely grated beetroot
- Whole wheat flour ( approximately 1 – 1(1/2) cup)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp brown sugar or coconut sugar or jaggery syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
- Salt, to taste ( 1/2 tsp more or less)
- 1 tsp oil or ghee
1. Wash and peal the beetroot. Finely grate the beetroot.
2. In a bowl, gently mix cumin, turmeric, dry mango, paprika, garam masala sugar and salt with beetroot. Skip the Paprika and garam masala, if you are making this for a toddler.
3. Add wheat flour little by little and knead to make a soft and smooth dough.
4. Divide the dough into equal parts to make lemon sized dough balls.
5. Dip each ball into the flour and roll into a round shaped paratha (thicker than chapati or phulka)
6. Heat the tawa, and grease with oil or ghee.
7. place the rolled paratha on the tawa and cook for a minute or two
8. when the base of the paratha is party cooked, grease and flip the paratha. Slightly press the sides, you will see the bubbles being formed.
9. Flip and cook both sides well.
10. Serve hot with raita or pickle
If the beetroot is finely grated, you can cook it for 5-10 mins, and then use it for making the dough
you can use the same beetroot mix with spices as stuffing for the paratha. Just make sure to take out all the water from beet, before preparing the stuffing
Did you make this recipe?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?