Lemon Blueberry Scones are ultra buttery with a hint of tanginess from lemon and sweet flavors of the blueberries. It has a golden crispy top and tender, light, and fluffy inside. This is a pure treat to help you enjoy your morning coffee.
There is always something about baking with lemon or using lemon zest in the recipes. It is just so heavenly and fresh-tasting feels like a perfect summer flavor. This recipe for lemon blueberry scones is just that. Unlike traditional recipes, there is no heavy cream in this one.
How different are scones from Biscuits?
Though biscuits and scones are made from the same set of ingredients, they are not the same. Biscuits should be light, airy with well-defined flaky layers. Scones are not supposed to be flaky, but they can have layers. Scones are also a little dense textured, soft, and tender with a finer crumb. It also welcomes any additions like zest, herb, fruits, or chocolates or raisins.
How to make these delicious Lemon Blueberry Scones?
Cold Butter!! yes, you literally need cold hard butter to make these scones. I like my scones buttery, moist, and flakey — that is the perfect scones for me. How do we get that?
Flour, buttermilk, cold butter, blueberries (fresh or frozen), lemons do that job pretty well. Buttermilk helps in adding moisture. Cold butter keeps the scones buttery and cold dough help to make scones crumbly and flaky. Top the lemon blueberry scones with a drizzle of lemon glaze for a refreshing sweet taste.
Tips to make perfect scones –
Use cold butter – We want the butter to be as cold as possible t when preparing the dough so that way it does not melt. If it melts when you are mixing your dough or gets too warm, you will not get the flakey layers in the scones.
Use vegan yogurt or prepare buttermilk – This is a very good alternative to heavy cream. Most of the traditional recipes call for heavy cream. But, adding lemon juice to thick almond milk or oat milk work as a substitute
Avoid over mixing the dough – Like any other baking recipe, scone dough must not be overmixed. Carefully fold the ingredients together until just combined. Dough will be shaggy, clumpy and that is okay. Just use your hands to shape it round, cut it and put them in freezer.
Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour. Or put them in the freezer for 15-20 mins. This prevents scones from spreading in the oven while being baked. I usually refrigerate for an hour and then put them again in the freezer while the oven is being heated. Longer the better.
Grate the cold butter
In a large bowl, add grated butter, flour, baking powder, sugar, poppy seeds, & salt until combined. Skip salt if you are using salted butter.
Next add all the wet ingredients – Buttermilk, vanilla essence, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh blueberries.
Gently fold everything just until combined. Clumps are good here.
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, make a round circle of 1-inch height.
Cut the circle into eight equal parts. Transfer these triangles to baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Brush the scones with buttermilk & Put the scones in the freezer for at least 15 minutes, while you pre-heat the oven @ 400F
Sprinkle coarse sugar on top & bake for 20-25 mins or until the top is golden and crisp.
Allow the scones to cool down, while you prepare lemon glaze (this is optional)
Drizzle the glaze on top the lemon blueberry scones and serve warm.
You may also like –
Your valuable feedback is appreciated. If you try this recipe, leave a comment below, rate it, or tag a photo #eateriesdelightful on Instagram 🙂
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter + 2 tbsp more //unsalted
- 2/3 cup buttermilk + more for brushing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- In a large bowl, add grated butter, flour, baking powder, sugar, poppy seeds, & salt until combined. Skip salt if you are using salted butter.
- Next add all the wet ingredients – Buttermilk, vanilla essence, lime juice, lime zest, fresh blueberries.
- Gently fold everything just until combined. Clumps are good here.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, make a round circle of 1-inch height. Cut the circle into eight equal parts. Transfer these triangles to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the scones with buttermilk & Put the scones in the freezer for at least 15 minutes, while you pre-heat the oven @ 400F
- Sprinkle coarse sugar on top & bake for 20-25 mins or until the top is golden and crisp.
- Allow the scones to cool down, while you prepare the lemon glaze (this is optional)
- Drizzle the glaze on top of the scones and serve warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar, lime juice, vanilla essence. Once combined add zest and poppy seeds.
- Replace 2 cups of all-purpose flour with 1+2/3 cup of wheat flour
- 2/3 cup of buttermilk can be replaced with 1/2 cup of heavy cream or milk + 1 egg
- Skip lime juice and blueberries for a plain scone.
Recipe adapted from Livewellbakeoften
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?