Couscous Salad is packed with flavors made with easy irresistible homemade dressing, fresh vegetables, and herbs.
Couscous salad is super easy to make, healthy, hearty & scrumptious. It is ready in 20- 30 minutes. A simple salad loaded with fresh vegetables, and zippy lemon dressing makes this great for a meal on its own or a delicious side dish! This is also a make-ahead dish, the flavor deepens the next day.
I just love a salad that is versatile, can play many roles a hearty salad, light lunch, light dinner, depending on what one is in the mood for. Adding some kind of complex starch is the favorite part. Not only does it add some great flavor and bite, but it also gives volume to any salad and makes them feel like a real soulful meal rather than just aside. And this Mediterranean couscous salad is just that!
What is Couscous?
It is semolina in granules made from crushed durum wheat. It is a healthy alternative to white or brown rice. [Source:verywellfit.com]
It is light and fluffy when cooked right. Instant couscous takes around 5-6 mins to cook on stove top.
How To Make Couscous Salad
This easy summer salad is ready in just 3 simple steps!
- Cook and Prep: Cook couscous (per the recipe below) and prep vegetables. Allow the couscous to cool down.
- Dressing: Make salad dressing, combine ingredients and set aside
- Assemble the salad: Toss all ingredients together, let it sit for 10 minutes and then serve!
Ingredients that you need to make this recipe-
- Durum wheat couscous
- fresh vegetables, herbs – this is the best part of the salad. juicy tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, and bell peppers give this salad the perfect crunch. Add in your favorites and try to keep a variety of colors and textures. Add in your favorites herbs like mint, cilantro or parsley
- Olives – I love to add olives for Mediterranean salads
- canned chickpeas
- butter – adds immense flavor to couscous
- feta cheese – Do not skip this!
- Light olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- lime zest
- lime juice
- garlic powder
- sweetener of your choice to cut out the acidity
Cook couscous as per the packet instruction 1:1 water to couscous generally works, do check the packet for instruction.
prepare the vegetables, and set aside.
Prepare the dressing – Combine all the ingredients for dressing.
Assemble the salad. Place couscous in a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Allow cooling.
Add remaining salad ingredients and dressing. Toss to combine and serve.
I hope you like couscous salad. It is –
- light and scrumptious
You may also like –
Your valuable feedback is appreciated. If you try this recipe, leave a comment below, rate it, or tag a photo #eateriesdelightful on Instagram 🙂
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- 3/4 cup Durum Wheat couscous
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 1/3 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup cucumber sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced or chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2-3 pickled banana peppers, sliced
- 1/4 cup herbs (cilantro and mint or parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sweetener sugar, agave syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook couscous as per the packet instruction 1:1 water to couscous generally works, do check the packet for instruction. I use a 1.25 cups of water for 1 cup of couscous.
- Bring water, butter, and salt to boil. Add couscous, turn off the flame, cover and let it steam for 5 mins. Fluff the couscous using a fork and allow it cool completely.
- prepare the vegetables, and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing – Combine all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Assemble the salad. Place couscous in a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Allow cooling. Add remaining salad ingredients and dressing. Toss to combine and serve.
- this recipe calls for instant couscous. Pearl couscous can be used in the recipe
- Red wine vinegar can be substituted with apple cider
- Dressing can be doubled.
Did you make this recipe?