Protein-rich Mung Bean Curry(green gram) made using instapot or stovetop is a delicious lentil curry.
This healthy Mung Bean curry is gently spiced and flavourful. It is also considered as one of the best lentils for nourishment.
Mung Bean is widely used in Indian cooking. From salads to desserts, it is used to make a variety of dishes. My personal preference – green gram in Akki Rotti(Rice Flatbread), Salads, and Curry.
What I like about these one-pot recipes are they are just so easy to make, all you need is 5- 10 mins for the prep, put all in the pot, and then done. Save time, make easy meals. Simple and tasty!
How to make Mung Bean curry?
Soaking lentils help neutralize anti-nutrients present in lentils. So it is always preferred to use them after soaking.
Soak green gram overnight(or 2-3hrs) in water. Try spouted ones, it adds extra flavor to the curry.
In the pot or cooker, saute onions, ginger garlic, green chilies.
Next add tomatoes, and spices( I have skipped onions).
Next, add green gram, water, and salt. Adjust the spices based on your preference. If you want to spice up the curry, add 1/2 tsp garam masala extra or add an extra green chili.
Pressure cook for 15 mins and then let the pressure release naturally.
If you want the texture creamier, take a ladle full of curry and blend it. Mix it in with the curry. Next, add lime juice(optional), and garnish with cilantro.
Serve the curry with rice or roti. I personally like it with rice.
I hope you like the recipe. It is –
- Mildly spiced
- one-pot curry
- & delicious
Mung Bean Curry
- 11/4 cup green gram sprouted or just soaked
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 Green chillies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dry mango
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 cup Water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Turn on the instant pot in SAUTE mode, let it turn hot. Add ghee or oil, and cumin seeds.
- Next, add onions, ginger-garlic paste, chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Mix in tomatoes and green gram.
- Add water and salt. Cancel the saute the mode.
- Cover and turn on pressure cook mode, and cook for 10 minutes. If you have not soaked the green gram, cook for 20-25 minutes.
- let the instant pot release pressure naturally. Add lime juice, garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Did you make this recipe?