Asian Noodle Salad is light, refreshing, and can easily please a crowd. It is perfect for summer, great to pack for lunch or to a large gathering. This salad is loaded with cucumber, carrot, onions, greens, and sesame seeds thoroughly marinated in a light ginger – orange vinaigrette.
Asian noodle salad is a lovely light side dish or lunch/dinner and it is vegan. To make it more hearty, I add edamame or Tofu (protein boost) & nuts for crunch. This salad is our family’s favorite and famous amongst our friends and tastes well when it is cold or room temperature.
How to make Asian Noodle Salad?
Ingredients that you need to make this recipe –
- rice noodles or whole wheat spaghetti or any other noodle you like
- shelled edamame or tofu
- small onion
- carrots grated
- shredded spinach
- shredded Napa cabbage
- A handful of pine nuts and slivered almonds
- black sesame seeds
- flavorless oil
- toasted sesame oil
- seasoned rice vinegar
- grated ginger
- soy sauce
- orange juice & zest of 1/2 small orange
- red chilli sauce or sriracha pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tips to make a great noodle salad –
- Don’t rinse the noodles with cold water after it is cooked. The warm pasta will better absorb the dressing.
- Let the noodles continue to absorb the flavor of the dressing and taste better after settling for some time. That makes this noodle salad recipe perfect for lunches or potlucks
- Although rice-based noodles are my preference, you can use any noodles you’d like, buckwheat noodles or even spaghetti and linguine. Rice-based noodles are gluten-free so it makes the noodle salad feel lighter and also they absorb the dressing really well.
You can use any combination of vegetables that you have.. I usually end up using veggies I am left with and make a salad during the week. Thinly sliced veggies with thin noodles give the salad even texture and make it better looking too. Add a protein of your choice to make the salad hearty.
Dressing is prepared using sesame oil, rice vinegar, & orange juice mixed in with grated ginger & garlic. Chilli sauce and pepper is added for spice kick
I used seasoned rice vinegar instead of regular rice vinegar because it already sweetened and I like it best for salad dressings. If you prefer to have more control over the amount of sweetness in the dressing, use regular rice vinegar and add more or less of any sweetener you like.
Steps involved :
- Set the vegetables
- Make the dressing
- Cook the noodles
- & toss and combine.
In a bowl, add shelled edamame, sliced onions & cucumber, grated carrots, shredded spinach & Napa cabbage.
Prepare the sauce
In a small bowl, add oil, vinegar, soy sauce & orange juice. Mix in grated ginger & garlic. Add red chilli sauce& pepper. Taste test the sauce.
Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss to coat well. Allow to marinate for 10 in the refrigerator.
Cook noodles or whole wheat spaghetti per packet instruction
Add tsp of oil while cooking the noodles so it does not stick. Drain excess water once cooked.
Arrange chilled cooked noodles in a large bowl or a plate. Top the noodles with marinated veggies and toss to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds & nuts. Serve immediately.
I hope you like the recipe. It is-
- easy to make
- & incredibly delicious
Other Salad recipes –
Asian Noodle Salad
- 8 oz dry noodles
- 1/2 cup edamame
- 1 small red onion sliced thin
- 1-2 grated carrot
- 1/2 cucumber sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shredded spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- Handful of pine nuts and silvered almonds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp flavorless oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp red chilli sauce or sriracha pepper sauce refer notes for substitute option
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- In a bowl, add shelled edamame, sliced onions & cucumber, grated carrots, shredded spinach & Napa cabbage.
- In a small bowl, add oil, vinegar, soy sauce & orange juice. Mix in grated ginger & garlic. Add red chili sauce& pepper. Whisk vigorously. Taste test the sauce.
- Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss to coat well. Allow marinating for 10 in the refrigerator.
- While dressing is resting, cook the noodles per packet instruction
- Add tsp of oil while cooking the noodles so it does not stick. Drain the excess water and allow it cool.
- Arrange chilled cooked noodles in a large bowl or a plate. Top the noodles with marinated veggies and toss to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds & nuts. Serve immediately.
- Add tbsp of honey and 1-2 tsp of red chilli powder or red chilli flakes in place of red chilli sauce.
Did you make this recipe?
Get new recipe updates by mail
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?