Lobia Curry or black-eyed peas curry is a healthy and creamy delicious curry prepared in a cooker or instant pot. It is vegan and is perfect to enjoy with steaming rice or flatbreads.
How to make Lobia Curry?
1. Soak black-eyed peas overnight (or 1-2 hrs) and drain and rinse. I prefer soaking them overnight as they cook faster. Put the peas, potato, and salt in a pressure cooker along with salt and water. Give one whistle.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, ginger-garlic, green chillies. Saute for a minute. Next, add chopped tomatoes.
3. Cook until soft and mushy. Add all dry masalas now and combine.
3. Now add boiled peas and potatoes, plain water, or water left from cooking black-eyed peas and let the gravy boil for a minute.
Add salt and mix well.
4. This is an optional step, if you like to make the gravy creamier, take a tablespoon or 2 of cook black-eyed peas and blend it.
Mix it in with the curry and give a quick boil.
5. Simmer for 10 mins. Garnish with Cilantro and serve hot with rice, quinoa or roti.
More curry options if you like –
Your valuable feedback is appreciated. If you try this recipe, leave a comment below, rate it, or tag a photo #eateriesdelightful on Instagram 🙂
Lobia Curry | Black Eyed Peas Curry
- 1/2 cup black eyed peas or canned black eyed peas
- 1/2 cup chopped potato
- 1-2 roma tomatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 inch finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 black pepper
- 2-3 green chillis
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2-1 tsp red chilli powder //optional (add for spicier curry)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp jaggery
- handful of cilantro
- 2 cup water //add more or less based on the consistency you like.
Stove Top Method
- Soak black-eyed peas overnight (or 1-2 hrs) and drain and rinse. I prefer soaking them overnight as they cook faster.
- Put the peas, potato, and salt in a pressure cooker along with salt and water. Give one whistle. or pressure cook in Instant Pot for 15-20 mins
- take a deep bottom pan, heat oil, add cumin, finely chopped ginger& garlic or ginger-garloc paste, green chillies.Saute for a minute.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook until tomatoes are soft. Add all the dry masalas ,turmeric powder, coriander powder,dry mango, garam masala. Cook until a thick paste is formed
- Now add boiled peas and potatoes and let the gravy boil for a minute. Add water to adjust the consistency. Adjust the spices if needed. Garnish with cilantro.
- serve hot with roti or rice.
- Keep IP on saute mode. Heat oil, add ginger-garlic paste, cumin & green chillies. Add tomatoes and cook untill soft.
- Add all the dry masalas. Add all the dry masala, turmeric powder, coriander powder, dry mango, garam masala. Cook until a thick paste is formed.
- Next, add soaked peas,chopped potatoes, water and salt. Turn off saute mode, and pressure cook for 15 mins
- Let the pressure release naturally. Stir to combine. Garnish using cilantro and serve hot.
- I make this curry creamier by blending a tablespoon or two full of cooked black-eyed peas and then mixing it in with the curry. I give a quick boil after this to make it hot and creamy.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you. Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #eateriesdelightful
Leave a Reply