Paddu is one of the south Indian delicacies that is quite versatile. The base of Paddu can be rice flour, Rava, whole grain rice, or wheat, add vegetables of your choice, spices or sweeten the dish to create your own style of Paddu. It is prepared by steaming the batter in a mould. Also known as Appam/Guliyappa/paniyaram.
This recipe is a sweet variety of Paddu made using whole grain rice and cucumbers. I must tell you this recipe is very addicting. When I was little, I used to look forward to mum making these. Used to be a go-to sweet treat after school, especially on rainy days. The flavor of sweetened cucumbers with jaggery and Ghee is incredibly delicious. It has a golden crispy texture on the outside and slightly soft and porous in the inside. It makes a quick, perfect little snack for the evening. It can also be whipped up using leftover Neer dosa batter.
How to make Sweet Paddu?
Grind rice coarsely and prepare thick batter by adding water as needed. Add shredded cucumber , salt, and jaggery. Combine well. When you add jaggery, the start of with 1/4 cup and then work your way up tablespoon wise until desired taste has reached. You can also use coconut sugar in place of jaggery. But you may need only a little of it as it is sweeter than jaggery.
On a heated pan, grease the moulds, pour in the batter into each of these moulds and cook until golden.
Flip and cook the other side for a few minutes. If you keep it longer on the stove, crisper the texture will be.
I hope you like the recipe. It is –
- perfectly sweetened
- & delicious
Sweet Cucumber Paddu | Southekayi Sihi Guliyappa
- 1 cup rice Idly rice or sona masoori
- 1 cup grated cucumber
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup powdered jaggery based on your liking for sweetness
- Salt to taste
- Water for preparing batter.
- Oil for greasing
- 2-3 tbsp shredded coconut optional
- Soak rice in hot water for half an hour. Rinse and drain rice. Grind the rice and coconut into coarse thick batter by adding water little by little. Sort of like idly batter.
- Mix in jaggery, salt, and grated cucumber.
- Heat the moulded pan, grease the mould with coconut oil or ghee, pour the batter on to each mould. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes in medium flame. It tastes really good when cooked in ghee.
- When the edges turn golden flip and cook for few more minutes.
- Serve hot.
Get new recipe notification to your Mailbox
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?