Poha is a very popular dish in India. It is very easy to make, quick and nutritious breakfast. It is light on tummy, and tastes delicious. My go-to breakfast item on a busy morning.
Poha(Kanda poha) is typically prepared using onions and potatoes. Peanuts, green peas are added for a dose of protein. Using a thin variety of Poha, you can make a popular breakfast option of coastal Karnataka – Masala Poha.
In the recipe below, I have skipped peanuts, onions, and I have added tomatoes for the juicy kick in the Poha. This can be prepared within 20 mins.
How to make Poha?
Wash and rinse flattened rice until soft. It should get easily crushed when pressed between the fingers.
I usually use semi-boiled potatoes while preparing poha. It reduces cooking time considerably. Saute potatoes,tomatoes, and onion until tomatoes are cooked well. Adjust the spices.
Add poha, and combine gently.
Lastly, sprinkle lemon juice and garnish using cilantro
- 2 cups flattened rice thick poha
- 1/2 cup chopped potatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1 to mato
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar/jaggery
- Curry leaves optional.
- Take the poha in a colander, rinse poha in water until they soften. Crunchiness will be lost, and get easily crushed when pressed between fingers
- Add salt, turmeric, sugar/jaggery and mix gently.
- Heat oil in a pan, crackle mustard seeds first, add cumin and green chillies, tomatoes. Saute for a minute.(I have skipped onion, if you are using it, saute until it is transparent)
- Add cooked potatoes now, and mix gently. Cover the lid and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. If you are using fresh potatoes, then cook longer until potatoes are soft.
- Add poha now, and mix gently again. cook for about a minute more
- Sprinkle cilantro, and lemon juice
- Gently mix and serve hot.
Did you make this recipe?