What comes to your mind when you think of classic shortbread cookies? Celebration of simplicity? or Walkers Shortbread?
Walkers Shortbread is one of my favourite cookies ever, it is the best. The days when I had to rush to work early in the morning (literally dawn!), tea and these walkers shortbread cookies were my saviour.
So buttery, and perfectly sweetened. Let’s try making them at home.
Shortbread vs Sugar Cookies ?
Before we start, let me tell you how different is shortbread from sugar cookies. Both are amazing and taste delicious. Sugar cookies are light and fluffy. Shortbread is dense, golden with a light crisp. Sugar cookies have baking powder/soda in it, shortbread has just basic ingredients.
How to make Shortbread Cookies ?
Ingredients for the recipe is already in your pantry – flour, butter, sugar and salt.
Mixing the flour –
Combine salt, all-purpose flour, granulated cane sugar(not brown) in a bowl. Add sliced or grated cold unsalted butter( I use Organic Valley unsalted butter) and mix until everything comes together*
Make a dough slab –
- make a rectangle-shaped dough. Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator.
Chill the dough –
- cover the top layer of the dough slab and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Overnight is preferred
Cut the dough –
- Once the dough is chilled, cut them using a cookie cutter or a knife. I like them in a square shape, so I used a knife to cut them into approximately half-inch slices. You can poke small dots all over it.
- This is an important step. After cutting the dough slab and place the rectangles in refrigerator/freezer for chilling for at least 10 mins. The dough should be cool and firm to touch. Take them out just before baking, and place them in the oven.
- Straighten the edges once again using the scraper for smoother edges. Do this step immediately after removing cookies from the oven
- Cookie firms up when it cools down. Allow the cookies to cool in the pan until the base is set and feels firm to touch.
You can store the cookies in room temperature for 3-4 days.
I hope you like shortbread cookies. They are –
- lightly crisp
- & just perfect
You may also like
- 1 +1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup+ 2tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Slice the butter and place them in a large bowl. Combine sugar, salt, and flour with butter, and mix until a dough is formed.
- Make a rectangle-shaped dough slab. Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator.
- Cover and chill the dough for at least 2 hours.
- Next, slice the dough slab into 1/2 inch thick slices. place them on baking mat and let it sit in the refrigerator once again until oven is pre-heated.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Bake for 15 -18 mins or until edges turn lightly golden.
- Straighten the edges of the cookies using scrapper immediately after removing the cookies from the oven.
- Allow them to cool on a pan until the bottom is set, and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature.
- I did not use a mixer for making the dough.
- Refrigeration is a very important step in making shortbread cookies. So do not skip the step.
- You can shape the cookies the way you want – round, rectangle, square.
- Double the recipe for more cookies.
*Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.
Did you make this recipe?
Get new recipe notification to your Mailbox
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?