Too hot outside to cook anything? Hello Kale Apple Salad!!
I love that this salad blends so many flavors and textures in one bowl. You have the lightly sweet and crispy apples, bitter flavor of the curly kale, crunchy walnuts, and sweet raisins. All of that topped with a light and zesty lemon dressing. Sprinkles of parmesan give the salad a satisfying depth of flavor. It works so perfectly.
Kale salads are perfect when you’re in the mood for a light and tasty meal that doesn’t weigh you down after eating. They are especially great when you have overindulged in sugary treats or need a hearty option to create a balance in your weekly menu. Also, Dressed kale salads keep well in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
How to make Kale Apple Salad?
Ingredients that you need to make this recipe –
- Bunch of Kale
- One Apple
- Olive oil
- lemon juice or Vinegar
- Red Chilli flakes
- cumin powder
- honey or maple syrup
- cheese to sprinkle
Optional ingredients are in the recipe card.
Let’s get started.
Here are few tips on handling Kale –
- Any type of Kale works in this recipe. If you are using large, curly Kale, make sure to remove the ribs. Massage the leaves with salt. This removes the bitterness of the kale. When you scrunch and release kale multiple times, it turns dark green and
- Chop them into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Always make sure to use the bold dressing for the Kale salad and coat it evenly. Zingy dressings go well with Kale.
- Finally, let the salad sit for 10 mins before serving.
If you are adding apples at the end, then no need to mix it in with lime juice. Else just toss apple in a tsp of lime juice to avoid browning of apples.
Cut Vegetables: Chop the apples, cucumbers. You can use any other vegetable of your choice along with Apple. Choices are unlimited.
Salt Wash Kale: Wash and a rinse Kale. Coat it with salt. I wash them again to remove the excess salt, as salt is added again in the dressing.
I had pre-cooked Quinoa. So I used it in the salad. It is totally optional. Brown rice can be added too. Adds to the texture and flavour of the salad. However, this is totally optional.
Combine the ingredients: In a bowl, combine kale, apple, cucumbers, walnuts, raisins, and quinoa.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lime juice, sweetener, cumin powder,red chillli flakes, salt & pepper. Add more lime juice if needed.
Toss the Salad : Pour the dressing over the salad and toss.
Sprinkle Cheese and let it sit for 10 mins, and then serve.
This salad tastes awesome with a side of soft & light dinner rolls or crusty bread. A perfect summer meal 🙂
I hope you like the recipe. It is –
- & delicious
Kale Apple Salad
- 1 cup chopped or thinly sliced apple
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 2 cups washed and chopped kale
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- a handful of raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 tbsp grate parmesan optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp lemon
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes // use 1/2 tsp and then increase based on your spice intake
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and chop or thinly slice apples. Coat them with a tsp of a lime juice if you are keeping them out long to stop the oxidation process
- Wash and coat and kale (if you are using sturdier kale) in salt for a few mins. Rinse well and chop it.
- In a bowl, place chopped kale, apples, cooked quinoa,cucumber & walnuts
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, sweetner, cumin powder,red chillli flakes, salt & pepper
- pour the dressing over the salad and toss.
- Top the salad with shredded cheese and serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Share this Post!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?