Stir-fry usually involves lot of oil or butter, but this southern Indian, coconut based stir-fry recipe will use only minimal oil. It is tender, flavorful, juicy, easy and quick! Tastes the best with fresh, tender beans.
This one is a basic and simple side dish that goes really well with rice. Also, accompanies sambar or Rasam. Stir- fry can be prepared with other vegetable combinations like- carrot – beans, beans-potato, cabbage, or peas.
I learnt this dish from my mum. She uses very minimal oil in most of her day to day cooking. This stir-fry requires oil only to prepare the seasoning, and veggies are coved and cooked over medium heat. This steams and cooks the vegetables, and retains the flavour.
Additionally, no boiling, means less flavour is lost in the water, and you have flavourful veggies.
In the end, add coconut shavings, to get a toasted and fresh kick to the stir-fry.
How to prepare Bottle-gourd and Beans stir-fry
Firstly, wash and cut the veggies. Keep them ready before you heat up the pan.
Next, heat oil in a pan, prepare the seasoning, add the cut veggies along with salt and add just a little bit of water. Cover and cook for a few mins
Add coconut shavings at the end. Garnish with cilantro and lime (optional, We love it though!). It’s ready in no minute!
Hope you like these bottle-gourd and green beans! They’re –
juicy & Incredibly delicious
More bottle-gourd recipe –
Bottle-gourd and beans stir- fry
Easy, delicious green beans made in 1 pan with 6 simple ingredients! Flavourful, infused with coconut, and garnished with cilantro and lime
Ingredients: 1 cup =240 ml
- 1 cup chopped bottle-gourd
- 1 cup chopped french beans
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp coconut shavings
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 green chillies (based on your spice preference)
- pinch of hing
- 2 tsp jaggery powder
- salt to taste (approximately 3/4 tsp)
- few drops of lime
- handful of cilantro
- 1/4 cup or less water
- Wash and cut veggies. Keep them ready.
- In a pan, heat 2 tsp of oil. Add mustard, urad dal. Let urad dal turn golden. Add cumin seeds, green chillies, hing. Let it turn aromatic.
- Add chopped veggies, salt, jaggery and saute in high flame for 2-3 mins.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of water. Cover and cook in medium flame until tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add coconut, lime and give a quick stir.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve along with rice, rasam or sambar.
- Skip the chillies if you preparing this to a toddler.
Keep in touch ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?