Chole pronounced as – “CHOW-LEI” also known as Chana originating from India. Chole Masala is one of most popular dishes, and each region has its own way of making it. It is basically chickpeas in a curry.
Main ingredients for the dish are – onion, tomato, chickpeas, dry mango, coriander, ginger, garlic, green chillies, cumin, garam masala or special masala called -‘chole masala’. Boiled chickpeas is simmered in tomato gravy along the spices. Garnish the dish with handful of coriander leaves. Dash of lemon will surely bring out the flavours of the dish well.
Which garam masala to use?
You can use any store bought garam masala, or can be made on at home using roasted coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper that is ground together to get the masala. Bay leaves, star anise can be added while preparing the masala to richen the aroma.
Nevertheless, you can also use chole masala that is available in market to save time and quicken the process. I prefer Everest chole masala that is readily available.
So, how do we make this recipe?
First, soak the chickpeas overnight. The next day, it is cooked in pressure cooking until chickpeas are soft. 4-5 whistles would do. OR pressure cook in instant pot for 20 minutes. [Simpler way you ask? Use canned chickpeas to avoid soaking process, and cook instantly! ]
Saute onion and tomatoes for a while, and then blend them to get a puree. This puree along with spices is used as a base for the curry. The puree is sauted along with bay leaf, cumin, peppers and cooked until the puree thickens
Lastly, boiled chickpeas is simmered in the curry .
Garnish and serve along with rice or flatbread of your choice.
|Simple restaurant style recipe that goes well with rice or flatbread|
|Category :||Dinner, Lunch, Curry|
|Cuisine:||Indian, Gluten-free, Vegan|
|Preparation Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|9 hours||30 minutes||9 hours, 30 minutes|
- 1 cup chickpeas or 2 ½ cup canned chickpeas
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 6-8 black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon(optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 cloves (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1½ tsp chana masala
- 1 green chilli (optional)
- 2 tsp jaggery or 1 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 4 tsp coconut oil
- water for soaking and cooking
- wash and soak chickpeas overnight or 8 hours. Add 5 cups of water for soaking. Drain the water next day, and wash chickpeas again
- Pressure cook chickpeas along with water(2 cups of water), salt for 4-5 whistles. Check for readiness by pressing a chickpeas between your fingers. It should be soft and get mushed easily.
- Next, in a pan, add 2 tsp oil, saute onion and tomatoes along ginger and garlic. When the mixture turns aromatic, turn off the flame, and blend it together
- Heat rest of the oil in a pan, add bay leaf, cumin seeds, pepper and saute until bay leaf turns aromatic.
- Now add the puree and cook the until puree thickens. Add dry ingredients – cumin powder, coriander powder, jaggery, dry mango, garam masala or chana masala. Mix well
- Add chole along with water (desired amount). bring it boil and let it simmer in for 5 minutes. Add salt, and adjust the spice level.
- Turn of the flame. garnish with coriander leaves.
- Add lemon (optional) and serve hot.
- canned chickpeas can be used instead of soaked chickpeas.
- If can still cook the chickpeas without soaking overnight. Boil the water (water to chickpea ratio – 5:1) and pour it over chickpeas. leave it for an hour. pressure cook as usual
- You can cook all ingredients in a pressure cooker. Cooking time in the cooker almost doubles, as chickpea will take longer to cook along with acidic ingredients.
- If the chickpea that is being used is old, not fresh. Then pressure cook will take longer and may need upto 8-10 whistles.
- The curry tastes the best next day. Refrigerate and use as required.
Keep in touch?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?