Tempered rice flakes – In Kannada, it is called as “Avalakki Oggarane”, one of the staple breakfast option in south Karnataka region. It is paired with upma, with a side of banana, most commonly. This recipe is vegan and health friendly.
Coconut is ground to a paste along with roasted coriander seeds, red chillies, and cumin. jaggery and salt is added to taste. Rice flakes are tossed in this mixture, and served immediately to avoid sogginess.
- 21/2 cup paper Avalakki (poha)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 4 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 dried red chilli (can add one if you like mild spicy)
- 3 tbsp jaggery
- 1/2 tsp thick tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
1. In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Once it is heated, add coriander seeds, red chillis and saute for a minute. Now add cumin seeds, and saute for another minute.
2. Add this mixture and grated coconut in a blender with little water. Grind it into thick paste. Do not add too much water. It will make avalakki soft and soggy.
3. Take a large bowl, add the blended paste to it with salt, jaggery, and turmeric. Mix well.
3. Add (thin flat poha) avalakki to this bowl and mix gently. Gentle mixing is important.
4. Serve immediately.