Beetroot Palya is prepared with grated beet, coconut, and minimal spices. It is a simple recipe, yet tasty and healthy. Goes great with phulka or rice along with sambar/korma.
This palya can be prepared using chopped beets or grated. I have grated the beetroot as it cooks faster and much flavourful
- 1 cup crated beetroot
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- pinch of hing
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard leaves
- 3-4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- salt per taste
- 1/2 inch ginger(optional)
- 1/4 tsp(or lesser) tamarind pulp
- 2 dried red chillis
- 11/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- wash the beetroot, peal and grate it.
- In a large pan, heat coconut oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, let it splutter. Add hing, cumin seeds, curry leaves, chillis ginger, and saute for a min
- Add beetroot, tamarind pulp and give a quick mix.
- Add 1/2 cup water, salt(jaggery can be added now, if needed). Close the lid and cook under low flame until soft(takes around 10 mins). Stir occasionally
- Add shredded coconut, coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve with rice or chapati.