Halbai is a delicacy that is prepared during Durga Pooja/Navaratri and other festivals in Karnataka. It is one of the easiest and tastiest sweets to prepare and is health-friendly. It has a soft and fudgy texture and has a rich flavor of coconut and jaggery. This is one of the recipes that mum makes, and it is our family’s favorite. I am sharing all the same simple steps so you all can make the delicious Halbai at home. This is also vegan.
How to make Halbai | Rice Cake?
Wash and soak rice for 2 hours.
Grind coconut & rice along with little water and salt until smooth.
In a pan, add Jaggery and water. Allow it to melt.
Then add ground rice-coconut paste and cook for 10-15 mins in low- medium consistency.
Keep stirring to make sure there are no lumps & add ghee.
Cook until the dough starts separating from the pan, and ghee starts leaving from the sides.
Transfer it to a greased plate, and allow it to cool.
Garnish with cashews, and cut it to the desired shape.
I hope you like the recipe. It is –
- Sweetened by Jaggery
- Coconut Infused
- & incredibly delicious.
Halbai | Rice Cake
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup rice
- 1 +1/2 cups jaggery
- 3 cups water
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp Ghee or vegan butter
- 6-7 roasted cashews
- Wash and soak rice in water for 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Add rice, salt, and coconut in a blender/mixer, along with 1/4th cup of water. Grind it to a smooth paste. Add more water if required
- Take a large bottom pan, add jaggery and remaining water, and let it dissolve completely. Now turn on the stove, add rice paste to the pan and stir well.
- Add ghee or vegan butter now, mix well. Cook for another 10-15 mins while stirring in between.
- The mixture will start getting separated from the ghee/vegan butter when it’s, and also it will have a glossy finish.
- Grease a round shaped pan, and pour the mixture into the pan, decorate with cashews and let it sit for 30 mins.
- Cut the Halbai into equal shaped squares when it cools down.
Keep in touch?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?