Halbai is a delicacy that is prepared during Durga Pooja/Navaratri and other festivals in Karnataka. It is one the easiest and tastiest sweets to prepare, and is health friendly. It has soft and fluffy texture, and has a rich flavour of coconut and jaggery. This is one of my favourite recipes that my grandmother used to prepare and I am providing you all the same simple steps so you all can make the delicious Halbai at home.
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup jaggery
- 3 cups water
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp Ghee or vegan butter
- 6-7 roasted cashews
- Wash and soak rice in water for 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Add rice, salt, and coconut in a blender/mixer, along with 1/4th cup of water. Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Take a large bottom pan, add jaggery and 2(3/4) cup of water, and dissolve completely. Now turn on the stove, add rice paste to the pan and stir well.
- Add ghee or vegan butter now, mix well. Cook for another 10-15 mins while stirring in between.
- The mixture will start getting separated from the ghee/vegan butter when it’s, and also it will have a glossy finish.
- Grease a round shaped pan, and pour the mixture into the pan, decorate with cashews and let it set for 30 mins .
- Cut the halbai into equal shaped squares when it cools down.
This is can be refrigerated upto 5 days.