Rava Laddu is a delicate melt in the mouth dessert that is shaped round and made with roasted semolina and sugar syrup infused with aromatic spices like cloves or cardamom or Nutmeg. Raisins and cashews give a beautiful texture and add flavor to these Laddus
Looking for a quick dessert? This recipe is one of the easiest Indian sweets that can be prepared under 30 minutes and suits perfectly for any festivals or occasions.
Stay far away from mum, I miss all the sweets that she prepares back home. An attempt to comfort me is by creating those delicious delicacies that mum cooks in the kitchen and sharing pictures with her! Also, it is my little one’s birthday week, why not make some Indian sweets along with cake and celebrate.
What is a Rava Laddu?
Semolina or Rava is often used to prepare savory Upma or desserts like Rava Kesari. It is also used to make Laddus. Rava Laddu is a round-shaped sweet ball made using Semolina(Rava), and sugar syrup, and Ghee.
Semolina is very roasted in low flame and then cooked in sugar syrup for a while and then shaped to round balls. Adding clove powder or cardamom powder adds to the flavor immensely. Also, you can adjust the amount of sugar used based on your preference. Longer the sugar syrup is boiled, harder will be the laddus.
Variation to Rava laddu is Coconut Rava Laddu. Add desiccated coconut along with semolina in this recipe for making coconut Rava Laddu. Refer notes below for details. Swap ghee with coconut oil for Vegan option.
If you like Indian sweets have a look at these recipes –
How to make Rava Laddu in 20 minutes?
There are different ways to make these laddus as well. One of them is using a ground mixture of powder and sugar, ghee is later mixed in and smooth textured Laddus are made out of it.
We make these laddus by mixing in the roasted Rava in sugar syrup. Use a coarse variety of Rava for textured laddu. I used fine Rava while making them today. This is a simple recipe that can be made easily by anyone.
In a pan, take a tbsp of ghee and roast cashews until golden in low flame. Add raisins, and turn off the flame when they puff. Keep it aside.
Heat a pan (Use the same pan used above) with tbsp of ghee or coconut oil and saute Rava (sooji) in low flame for 10 mins. The low flame stops browning of Rava.
Bring water and sugar to boil. Let it boil for exactly 5 minutes in low-medium flame.
Longer the sugar syrup is boiled, laddu gets harder. I mix in Rava with sugar syrup just before one string consistency reached, as it is enough for holding Rava together well and laddus remain soft. Based on your preference, you can boil the syrup until one consistency is reached or stop boiling in 5 mins.
(TIP: when you check for consistency, the last drop that falls from the ladle should fall down like a small string)
Allow the mixture to cool down a little. When it is still warm, take a tbsp of mixture on to your greased palm and start shaping the laddus. If you find it hard to bind them together, add a 1-2 tbsp of milk little by little, mix well and shape the ball.
Once cooled down completely, store them in an airtight container for up to a week. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.
I hope you like Rava Laddo recipe. It is –
- Melt in mouth
- Perfect for any occasion
- Comes together in minutes
- & incredibly delicious.
Your valuable feedback is appreciated. If you try this recipe, leave a comment below, rate it, or tag a photo #eateriesdelightful on Instagram 🙂
- 1 cup rava
- 1/2 cup sugar // if you like desserts extra sweet, refer notes for instruction.
- 1 tsp powdered cloves
- 5 tbsp ghee or coconut oil for vegan option
- 2 tbsp roasted cashews
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp milk (optional) or non-dairy milk
- Add tbsp of ghee on a heated pan, and roast rava in low flame for 8-10 mins.let it cool down to room temperature
- Bring sugar and water to boil. Boil for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Add rava to the sugar syrup. Mix well. Add ghee , roasted cashews and raisins , & flavoring spice.
- turn off the flame and mix well so no lumps are formed.
- Allow the mixture to cool down a little. Take tbsp of mixture on to your greased palm, and make rounded shaped ball. Don’t worry if mixture doesn’t hold well. Laddo will get firmer as it cools down. Alternatively, you can refrigerate for 30 mins till it holds shape. Another option is to add 1-2 tbsp milk,
- Store it in air-tight container upto a week in room-temperature
- If you like the Laddu sweeter, Use 3/4 cup sugar and half cup water for 1 cup Rava
- Coconut Rava Laddu : Add 1/4 cup of dessicated coconut and roast it along with Rava. Increase the sugar amount to 3/4 cup and water to 1/2 cup. Rest of the steps remain the same.
- Make sure to roast rava in low flame.
- You can either use fine or coarse variety sooji. Adding a tbsp of milk once the mixture is taken off the stove helps in binding.
Did you make this recipe?