Rava is a wheat product that is obtained by grinding wheat husk. It is used in India for preparing various dishes like kichidi, idli, dosa, upma and sweets – laddu, halwa, kesari bath etc.
This south Karnataka special recipe can be prepared instantly, and can be quick breakfast option or snack. It is very easy to prepare, but needs to be cooked carefully on tawa/pan. Rava rotti can be served with butter or chutney powder or jaggery or can be relished on its own .
Ingredients: 1 cup = 240 ml
- 2 cup roasted rava
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 3/4- 1 cup water
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1/2 chopped onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 green chillies
- salt per taste
- In a bowl, mix rava, grated coconut, yogurt, cumin, ginger and chillies . Rest for 5-10 mins. Skip the chillis if this is being served to a toddler.
- Add spinach, carrot, salt and slowly add water by mixing and checking the consistency of the batter.
- Heat the pan, grease it with oil or ghee. There are two ways to spread the batter. a) spread the batter slowly to the pan directly , and make a thin layer using fingers. b) Take handful of batter and spread it on the baking paper or banana leaf. Dip your fingers in water while spreading to avoid sticking of the batter. Place the paper on the tawa/pan by flipping it.[Refer notes section]
- Close the lid, cook in low to medium flame (to avoid burning of rava) for 2-3 minutes. grease both sides of rotti, and cook both sides until golden. Let it get cooked fully one side before flipping to avoid breaking of the rotti
- Serve hot with butter or jaggery or chutney powder.
Notes: If the rotti is being spread directly on the pan, let the batter be not too thick, easier to spread when it is of below shown consistency.
if you prefer spreading it on baking paper or banana leaf, let the batter be a thick, add 1/2- 3/4 cup of water little by little and check the consistency. Dip fingers in water while spreading on the batter on paper.
Hope this helps!