Kokum Rasam|Punarpuli saaru
Kokum Rasam is a deliciously tangy, sweet and spicy dish, a southern Indian regional delicacy that leaves you wanting for more
- 5-6 dried kokum
- 2 cups water
- 2 green chillies
- 1-2 tbsp jaggery // add more if needed
- salt to taste
- handful of cilantro
- sprinkles of lemon //optionals
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tsp ghee // use coconut oil for vegan option
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of asafoetida
- 2 red chillies
Wash and clean the dried kokum, soak in boiling hot water for 20-30 mins. Gentle squeeze the peels to extract the juice. Strain it to a pan.
Heat extracted juice along with water. Add slit green chillies, pepper, jaggery and salt. Bring it to boil. Simmer for 5-10 mins.
Prepare the tempering. heat a tsp of ghee add cumin, asafoetida, curry leaves and red chillies. Once curry leaves are crisp, take it out off flame and season the rasam.
Serve hot with rice or enjoy it as a soup!
- Kokum is tangy, so adjust the amount of jaggery and salt per your taste
- This can be added to buttermilk and relished as kokum flavored buttermilk
- Add few drops of lemon if you like it tangier