Coconut Burfi is a easy Indian Burfi recipe made using 4 ingredients – coconut, sugar, water and nutmeg. This is one of the simplest and yummiest burfi you can ever make.
This recipe is made in Karnataka style where we do not add milk while making Burfi. This is also known as ‘Kobbari Mithai’.
How to make the perfect Coconut Burfi?
You will need. –
- Freshly grated or frozen coconut
- sugar or jaggery as a sweetener
- water to make the syrup
- nutmeg or cardamom for flavoring
- Pulse and dry roast grated coconut: I like to pulse the coconut shavings for even texture, and cleaner look of the burfi. Dry roasting coconut in low flame increases the shelf life and removes excess moisture present in the burfi. Make sure to roast at low flame possible, and not brown the coconut
- Sugar Syrup: One-String Consistency of Sugar Syrup helps to get perfect burfis. It helps to give the perfect melt-in-mouth texture for the burfi and not fudge-like texture.
- Prepare the Burfi: This is the last step. Once you have the sugar syrup ready, mix in the dry roasted coconut to the sugar syrup, and cook the mixture in medium flame for about 20-25 mins. The entire mixture will come together as a single mass and it won’t stick to the spatula anymore. Pour the mixture onto a greased plate, and allow it to cool down for 5 mins. Slice the burfi and allow it to cool completely
Once the burfi has cooled down completely, remove from the plate, and store it in an airtight container.
You may also like –
- 4 cups coconut
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- pinch of nutmeg
- Use shredded coconut. Pulse it before use for uniform texture
- Dry roast coconut in low flame for about 10-15 mins. Make sure to the temperature is right, and doesn't brown the shredded coconut. This removes the extra moisture and increases the shelf life of the burfi
- In a large pan, bring water and sugar to boil. Boil for 5 mins or until light one string consistency is reached.
- Add dry roasted shredded coconut to sugar syrup. And cook the mixture in medium flame for about 20-25 mins, while stirring.
- when the mixture is done, it will come together. Pour the mixture onto a greased plate.
- Cut the burfi into squares after 5 mins, and allow it to cool completely before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Recipe adapted from: https://khaadyaa.net/