The ever green Paneer Tikka Masala, needs no introduction. It is one of the universally popular Indian gravy packed with flavour and goodness of spices. Marinated Paneer cubes are bathed in rich creamy tomato sauce. It goes really with naan or parathas.
Restaurant style Tikka Masala, make it at home. This is definitely one of my favourite recipes. Creamy gravy makes me finish anything I can get my hands on. This is the what you need when you are craving comfort food but also hits all the right notes.
Tikka refers to vegetables or meat marinated in spices. Here, paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) is marinated in spices and then pan roasted or grilled. You can also add fresh green peas for extra protein. This healthy vegetarian dinner is a creamy, saucy curry with paneer and warm spices.
Whenever we get paneer from the store, we either make Tikka Masala or scrambled Paneer. Spices used are warm and not spicy ‘hot’. They can be varied based on your preference. This recipe does not include onion and garlic. Replace paneer with tofu, and yogurt with cashew yogurt to make this recipe vegan!
How to make Paneer Tikka Masala ?
There are two parts – make marinated paneer and then prepare the sauce.
Marinate Paneer in Spiced Yogurt
Mix yogurt with ginger, salt, garam masala, paprika, dry mango in a bowl. Add paneer cubes, and combine well. Allow them to marinate. Yogurt helps to coat paneer well with spices. When picking paneer for the recipe, use a sturdier one as recipe involves pan roasting, and then simmering in the sauce.
next, PAN ROAST THE MARINATED PANEER
In a heated pan, on a low flame, cook all the marinated pieces with little or no oil.
MAKE THE SAUCE
In this step, spices and tomatoes are cooked first and then blended along with roasted cashews/almonds.
Roasted paneer pieces are then added to the curry, and served hot.
I use fresh tomatoes when making the curry, canned tomatoes work as well. But note that canned tomatoes tend to be more acidic, so a little more sugar have to added to the sauce to balance out the acidity.
Hope you like the recipe –
- low carb
- restaurant quality dinner at home
Paneer Tikka Masala
|Prep Time :||30 minutes|
|Cook Time :||15 minutes|
|Total Time :||45 minutes|
Ingredients: 1 cup = 240 ml
- 200g Paneer
- 4 tbsp thick yogurt
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 11/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry mango
- salt to taste
SAUCE & GRAVY
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1- 2 tsp red chilli powder or paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3 large tomatoes
- 6-8 roasted cashews/ blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar sugar or jaggery
- 1 cup water( approximately for the gravy)
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp butter or ghee
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp kasuri Methi
- handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Chop paneer into cubes and keep them ready.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt with all the spices coriander , cumin, dry mango, paprika, ginger, salt, garam masala.
- Add paneer cubes to the yogurt mix and coat them well. Let it marinate at least for 30 mins. Marinate overnight in refrigerator for best results.
- In a heated pan, add 2 tsp of butter, then cumin and ginger. Saute until it is aromatic.
- Add tomatoes, cover and cook until soft.
- Add sugar, pepper, coriander, turmeric, salt, chilli powder and give a quick mix. Allow the mixture to cool down.
- Roast the marinated paneer in low flame until edges turn golden.
- In a blender, blend the sauce mix along with roasted cashews. Add water on need basis, that is based on the thickness of the gravy you like.
- Heat the pan once again with a little butter, roast cinnamon,bay leaf Pour in the sauce on roasted paneer and give a quick mix. Adjust the spice level based on your preference. Sprinkle crushed dry methi (fenugreek)
- Serve hot with flatbread or rice.