Vegan Sweet Potato and Broccoli soup is, has a lovely creamy texture, rich and incredibly comforting. It is warm, and rich in anti-oxidants. Truly luxurious.
It is dairy and oil- free, and made with just 10 ingredients. This soup is perfect to warm you up on a cool day or when you wish for something deliciously light meal for dinner. You can also side it with a salad or garlic bread. I would say skip salad, and just have this soup. 🙂
It is loaded with nutrients, add pinch of anti- inflammatory turmeric to get an earthy feel to the soup.
How to make Creamy Sweet Potato and Broccoli soup?
You can put all ingredients(except herb) in a single pot and make the soup or roast broccoli separately and later mix it in the soup.
Usually, vegetable broth is used instead of water while preparing soup. I have used water instead of broth to keep the salt minimal.
Soak almonds in hot water for 10 minutes. Peel the skin and keep it ready.
Boil sweet potatoes, garlic, onion and handful of chopped green apples along with salt. Add in spices. Allow it cool down. Few green apples may be sweeter in taste, so add based on your liking. More you add, soup will be sweeter.
In the mean time, roast broccoli on stove top, or on the oven for few minutes.
Blend sweet potatoes along with few broccoli pieces ( totally optional, you can just added then later too) until smooth and creamy.
Creamy Sweet Potato and Broccoli soup
|Prep Time :||10 minutes|
|Cook Time :||20 minutes|
|Total Time :||30 minutes|
Ingredients: 1 cup = 240 ml
- 2 cups sweet potato
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 /2 green apple or 1 small green apple
- 3 1/2 cup water
- 6-8 almonds
- 1 tsp pepper ( Use 1/2 tsp first, and then increase based on you spice level)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika(optional, add only if you like smoky element in the soup)
- salt to taste
- Add potatoes, garlic, green apple, peeled almonds and water to a pot, and bring it to boil. Cover and cook until tender. After 10 mins leave it for simmering. Cook until they are mushy enough so puree can be made easily
- Roast broccoli on a pan, heat the pan, toss in broccoli with salt, and cook until fork tender. Or preheat the oven to 425 F, line the the pan with parchment paper. Coat broccoli with salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes.
- After the potatoes, almonds, and apple are cooled, blend until smooth and creamy. Add little water, if it is too thick.
- Turn on the flame, boil the mixture until desired thickness is reached. Adjust salt and pepper. Just before serving, mix in rosemary, roasted broccoli. Serve hot with a side of garlic bread or salad.
- Adjust the spice level by varying black pepper, and smoked paprika quantity.
Get new recipe notification to your Mailbox
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?