What comes to your mind when you think of classic shortbread? Celebration of simplicity? or Walkers Shortbread?
Walkers Shortbread is one of my favourite cookies ever, it is the best. The days when I had to rush to work early in the morning (literally dawn!), tea and these walkers shortbread cookies were my saviour.
So buttery, and perfectly sweetened. Even better? why not make them at home.
Before we start, let me tell you the how different is shortbread from sugar cookies. Both are amazing and taste delicious. Sugar cookies are lighter and fluffy. Shortbread is dense, golden with light crisp. Sugar cookies have baking powder/soda in it, shortbread has just basic ingredients .
How to make Shortbread Cookies ?
Ingredients for the recipe is already in your pantry – flour, butter, sugar and salt.
Mixing the flour –
Combine salt, all purpose flour, granulated cane sugar(not brown) in a bowl. Add in sliced cold unsalted butter( I used Organic Valley unsalted butter) and mix until dough is formed *
Rolling the dough –
- Next, have 2 parchment papers ready (square size). Drop the dough on to one of the parchment paper, place the other parchment paper on top of the dough, and flatten the dough using rolling pin. Roll from left to right, and keep turning the dough 90 degrees often to avoid cracking.
- Rotate and roll until you have a square shaped dough with 1/4 inch thickness.(Makes 8 -10 cookies, depending on the how you roll out). Straighten the edges of the square using a bench scraper or dough cutter.
Chill the dough –
- cover the top layer of the dough slab and refrigerate for at-least 2 hours. Overnight is preferred
Cut the dough –
- Once the dough is chilled, cut them using cookie cutter or a knife. I like them in square shape, so I used a knife to cut them into approximately 2 inch small squares.
- This is the important step. After the cutting the dough slab and place the squares in refrigerator/freezer for chilling for at-least 10 mins. The dough should be cool and firm to touch. Take them out just before baking, and place them in the oven.
- you can straighten the edges once again using the scraper for smoother edges. it must be done immediately after removing cookies from the oven
- Cookie firms up when it cools down. Allow them to cool in the pan until the base is set and feels firm to touch.
You can store the cookies in room temperature for 3-4 days.
I hope you like shortbread cookies. They are –
- lightly crisp
- & just perfect
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
|Total Time||2 hours 25 minutes|
Ingredients: 1 cup =240ml
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Slice the butter and place them in a large bowl. Combine sugar, salt and flour with butter, and mix until a dough is formed.
- Place the dough on a parchment paper, place another parchment paper on top of the dough, and roll it from left to right, rotate 90 deg and roll again to a square shaped dough slab. Dough slab must be 1/4 inch thickness. Adjust the sides to get straight and smooth edges.
- Cover and Chill the dough for at-least 2 hours.
- After removing the top layer of parchment paper, using a knife, slice the dough into 2 inch squares, and refrigerate for another 10 mins. You can sprinkle sugar on the slices if needed.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 deg F. Bake for 15 mins or until edges turn golden.
- Straighten the edges of the cookies using scrapper immediately after removing the cookies from the oven.
- Allow them to cool on a pan until the bottom is set, and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature.
- I did not use mixer for making the dough.
- Refrigeration is a very important step in making shortbread cookies. So do not skip the step.
- You can shape the cookies the way you want – round, rectangle, square. You can also design cookies.
- Double the recipe for more cookies. Make sure to maintain sugar, butter, and flour ratio as 1:2:3
*Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.
Keep in touch?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?