Spiced potatoes and peas – easy vegan, comforting food. All over India, potatoes and peas curry is prepared in different ways- tomato based, dairy based, or cooked using various base sauces. This recipe calls for potatoes and peas to toss in ground spices. It is aromatic, and flavour is addictive.
Serve these with whole grain flat bread or naan. Or as an entree for a bowl of rice with lentils or chickpeas.
The dish can also be easily turned into a curry without losing much of taste or flavor. It is one of the easiest dishes to prepare and goes well for dinner or lunch.
You can use already boiled potatoes or simmer and cook
- 2 cups chopped potatoes or 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp whole cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1- 2 tsp paprika (based on how spicy you like)
- pinch of hing
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or finely minced 1 garlic pod
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 3 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp suji or bombay rava (optional)
- 1 cup or less water for cooking potatoes
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp of oil, add cumin seeds, saute for a min. Add hing, garlic. Let it turn aromatic.
- Now add potatoes, and water along with salt. Close the lid and cook for 10- 12 mins. Add peas. Cook until tender.
- In a bowl, mix turmeric, coriander, cumin powder, ginger, paprika, suji. Mix well and add it to the above cooked mixture along with a teaspoon oil. Reduce the flame. Let it coat well, and allow the spices to cook for a minute or two .
- Turn off the flame. Add lemon and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as a side dish with chapati or rice or dal. Or use it as filling for wraps.
Adding a tablespoon of suji, makes potatoes a crispy. Rice flour can be added instead. If you add tablespoon of wheat flour mixed along with 3 tbsp if water, will give the potatoes a creamier taste.